Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Throne



I should have known my next piece was going to be on Watch The Throne. 

Listening to this album has been a struggle. I am constantly pulled in two different directions. It's a good album, but not great. And with the two biggest hip-hop artists collaborating for an actual album, I expected something groundbreaking. Was I wrong? Obviously, I was.

Nothing about this album was groundbreaking, minus the production. When delving into "real" hip-hop, one thinks of stories, wordplay, and substance. Only wordplay was displayed. Even the heavyweights have forgotten what hip-hop is about. And what really sucks, is that they truly worked hard on this project and thought that this is what hip-hop was missing.

Unfortunately they were wrong. True hip-hop doesn't care about how much money you have or have made, it's about the art. It's about who is the best. And granted these two MC's are by far considered the best, being the best and standing out as such, was not demonstrated. Lackluster lyrics were provided. Why, might you ask, was I pulled in two different directions? Well, to be perfectly honest, it's not a bad album. But it's not a great album. And it should be great. And what troubles me the most is that since it's not bad, and with the artists involved, the general public will consider what they made as great. It truly hurts my heart that the hip-hop that I grew up with and believed in, is truly dead. As a Jay-Z fan I really hate to say Nas was right, but he was.

3 comments:

  1. Observer, this means that you are getting old:) It is sad though and I do agree that hip hop isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuck you. The album is solid in todays time where the most popular song this year repeated the word "racks". The Otis video is a bit much though...money wasted...scrapped up...and thrown back into wealthy peoples pockets...at least their black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video is hot. The album is solid as I already mentioned, however we all know it should be great. But I am glad to hear some real music for a change.

    ReplyDelete