Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hova Da God



As I mentioned in an earlier post, I truly never had any intention of this being a blog based on music. I guess I shouldn't have started out with a piece on musicians. Well it is what it is. Having heard the interview with Jay-Z conducted by Angie Martinez, I have been left with no choice in the matter.

Growing up, I was the most authentic Jay-Z fan. Meaning I was a fan before Hard Knock Life. Rather, he was my favorite rapper after I saw the "City is Mine" video. From 1997, the coolest guy in my mind was Jigga. I was such a fan that my father knew if he saw Jay on the cover of a magazine to automatically purchase it. With that being said, there is no question that I am a fan of Shawn Corey Carter.

Over the years I have had certain quarrels over the actions he has taken. Retire(on top) and come back with a not so good album(Kingdom Come). Not cool. However, before that I watched "Fade to Black" and witnessed him basically force Kanye to give him the Lucifer beat, a pretty assholeish move. And then finding out how he treated Kanye initially and not wanting to sign him as a rapper because he felt that he couldn't really rap, I was like, "Damn Hov is kinda an asshole for real".  I don't totally blame him for the dispersion of the original Roc-A-Fella. I just wish that situation was handled better by all parties involved.

Now I don't totally agree with Jay-Z still rapping at his age. Let's face it, rap is a young man's game. However, in all honesty, what young cat is truly a better artist than Jay-Z? I couldn't think of one either. So with that, I can understand why he still makes music. He's still the best at it, hands down. And I wish you Lil Wayne fans would try to come at me. Lupe, Clipse, Fab, and Jadakiss are great lyricists, but all around artists Jay-Z will win. His catalogue proves it. Is Jay my favorite rapper today? No. Is he still the best doing it? Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment