Tuesday, August 16, 2011

LOL


Between watching an episode of Californication and recieving a text message I am heavily inclined to agree with the infamous Hank Moody, texting is killing the English language.

I never really noticed how bad we, as Americans, have gotten so lazy and have a total disregard for the language of our land. Upon recieving a text message that read, "Hey wyd", I first had to figure what the hell wyd meant. Then after figuring it out, I then realized that laziness has seeped into our language, which I didn't even know was possible. By the way, wyd = What You Doing.

When it comes to the phrases "LOL", "LMAO", or even "SMH" I have no quarrel. These are intended to display actions, no problems there. However, a person texting me "STFU", "IDK", and "OMG" is where I find all the problems. First, shut the fuck up looks way better than stfu(and you better know me rather well to be texting me anything of the sort). Secondly, abbreviating phrases is what the federal agencies do(hence their nickname the alphabet boys) and who wants to be a cop, considering they all tend to be pricks(on average). And I'm willing to bet that people in other countries don't abbreviate phrases in their language when texting(I could be wrong).

I have no issues with slang(I am black), but when you're too lazy to type a phrase maybe you should just call someone, or wait until you can. And to all the gentleman reading this, if you text anyone "K" in reference to ok(really using it all) you my friend are gay. 

2 comments:

  1. Im a true messager at heart, yet I agree. Im starting to believe that either I need a more intelligent class of friends, or America is in dire need of education reform. Bottom line- technology is making people dumber and computers smarter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I obviously couldn't agree more. More to come. Keep checking in and follow me on twitter, if you don't already.

    ReplyDelete