Saturday, July 30, 2011

My City



About a year ago people were telling me, "Atlanta is Black Hollywood". I paid no mind until time proved them wrong. Atlanta is not the Black Hollywood, but the new Hollywood.

While most people don't know this that actually live here....well they don't actually live here. I happen to live in the city of Atlanta, not a suburb or section of the city. I went to sleep last night with lights shining in my room from a movie, starring Jennifer Lopez and Cameron Diaz.  Getting back to the point, I have to give credit to someone that I don't particularly favor, Tyler Perry, for bringing the film industry to Atlanta. His studio is the only one in the city, and the only one outside of LA, that is just like one that resides in California.

Living in the city has afforded me to witness various films being filmed here. Not even a mile from my townhouse, Ryan Reynolds and Jason Bateman filmed a scene for their upcoming comedy, The Change-Up, at Joe's on Juniper. In addition to that, a mansion in Ansley Park(also not a mile from my residence) was used to film something recently. All of these movies do not star black actors. Atlanta, the third fastest-growing city in the country, is definitely becoming Hollywood Jr.  Sure New York is a great place to film on location(if you can). But Atlanta is the new place to be when it comes to films. Spending my first part of my life here and coming back, I would have never thought this would happen. Glad to see it happening though. On top of that, many music videos have been shot here. Curren$y shot 'She Don't Want A Man" here, as well as, "Super High(Sativa Remix)" by Rick Ross. As many would like to say that ATL is known for gays, fake balling, and the hub for music, it's more than that. Atlanta is now, not only the place for young professionals, but the film industry as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment