Wednesday, July 20, 2011

G.O.O.D. Enough?

     


As far as having mainstream artists that make well above average music, I would say G.O.O.D. Music is the only company to house artists of this caliber under one roof: Kanye, Pusha T, John Legend. Common, Cy-Hi the Prince, Kid Cudi, and yes this includes Big Sean.

In my experience, I have been met with negative responses when bringing Big Sean up as one of the new hot artists out right now.  And with what I normally hear on the radio, or what I see/hear either people listening to, I just get confused as to why people hate on Big Sean. I have heard, "oh he sounds like 'Ye". But let's be honest Kanye has fathered a style, and nowadays if you rap a certain way people are going to automatically chalk you up and box you in as sounding like Kanye(funny they don't mention Drake in this same light).

Upon listening to Finally Famous the Album, if you like rap and don't like Big Sean you're hating, pure and simple. For clarification, is he a favorite of mine? No. But I do respect talent. And the young dude can rap, period.  Add to that he's repping a new city, or rather a city that hasn't been repped for a long time, which is bringing a new perspective than the Atlanta way of life. Not to mention that Detroit needs all the positive reinfocement it can get.  As far as his album is concerned, out of 18 tracks,  8 tracks are good, "I Do It" probably being the best. That may not be half of the album, but with 18 tracks that's a hard feat to accompolish. 

All in all, Big Sean is not a bad rapper and I felt the need to speak out for him, for the people that speak out against him(for no reason).  I understand everyone is not going to like a certain artist, but it's almost as if no one ever tried to give him a chance.

2 comments:

  1. G.O.O.D. Music? I have not heard of this. However, I agree that the list of artists affiliated are great. Now I have to listen to "Finally Famous."

    ReplyDelete
  2. G.O.O.D Music is Kanye West's record label.

    ReplyDelete